Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day Twenty-Nine: STEAK


The tour continues, diary! Today I’m taking Eve into the west bailey to see all the workshops. Libby’s outfitting the mess hall with new stools, so I won’t have to worry about getting caught by her, and Captain Cedric is still shooting mongoosi! Hooray!

I have to admit, though, diary, I’m… a little anxious about Eve. Enough that I’m writing in you BEFORE I do anything today, rather than after. She’s... well, she’s not the baby I expected.

I’d always heard that babies were a pain in the ass. My father told me as much. “Dragomir,” he’d say, “you’re a pain in the ass. You were a pain in the ass as a baby, you’re a pain in the ass as a child and you’re gonna be a pain in the ass as an adult.” And that’s most of what he told me while I was young.

I don’t have many fond memories of my father. Reminds me a lot of the captain. I don’t think that’s a good thing.

Eve isn’t really a pain in the ass. I don’t have to worry about the usual stuff, like putting her down at night. As soon as I stick her in her nook between the bed and the cabinet (I need to get her a new bassinet, as she shredded the old one somehow) she goes right to sleep. And she never whines or complains about anything. She’s... orderly.

And strong. Gods help me is she ever strong. She grabbed onto my finger earlier and I thought she was gonna rip it off. I had to give her a steak to make her let go. Did I mention she’s voracious, as well?

But that’s all okay. It’s not a bad thing to have a ‘different’ baby, especially when ‘different’ is kinda convenient. I can carry her around in a little apple basket and she’s a perfect lady. Hopefully today’s trip to the bailey will go swimmingly. Hell, maybe Libby will catch me, see how calm Eve is and take back her stance on our daughter. That would be worth getting thwomped in the head.

Still. A little anxious.

Oh, and diary? I might start reading you to Eve each night. Y’know, take her out for an evening stroll and bring her down to the rat farms. Though, all the yellow dust... hrm. Time to search for a new hiding spot... again... either way. It’s good to get started on education early, especially since Eve hasn’t been given a job yet. Wonder what she'll be...?

I’ll be back later with good news!

Confusedly beaming,

Dragomir the Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment