Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day Thirty-Four: Come back, baby, come back


It happened again, diary. I don’t know why I even bothered, after what happened the first time, but now... again. Again! I’m going to die of a heart attack before I’m thirty, I swear to all the gods who watch over this stupid castle!

What happened? My freaking daughter went missing, that’s what happened!

I woke up this morning - turns out I’d fallen asleep in the rat farms, ;cause the sound of rain always makes me kinda sleepy - and I found Eve’s bassinet ripped to spreads. Burst outward, even, like she’d snapped it apart with her arms. That’s a scary thought, diary, very scary. But not as scary as losing your daughter twice in as many weeks of life!

I spent the whole day trying to find her. I looked everywhere, from the jail to the treasury (which was easy since they’re right across from each other) to the apartments to the Beefiary to the bailies to... well, everywhere. In one frantic moment I actually tried to sneak into the throne room when it wasn’t bein’ used, but the royal guards tossed me out. Right prigs, those Omega Corpsers, and don’t realize what it’s like to lose a baby.

I never did find poor Eve. I guess that’s no surprise: it's chaotic outside, ‘cause the goblins have made a crazy push towards the barbican. We’ve pretty much run out of wood and feathers to make into arrows. Some of the soldiers tried to shoot down seagulls circling overhead, but their captain beat them down ‘cause they kept missing the gulls and wasting more arrows.

I don’t know what’s what anymore, diary. My little girl’s missing, and gods know what she’ll do. Hell, her wandering around might be a good thing if the goblins get inside, ‘cause she can probably rip ‘em apart.

But what if she can’t? What if everything she’s done up to now has been, like, a fluke or something? I mean, it’s hard to think that the slaughter of livestock and the bending of metal is a big coincidence centered around a single baby, but... but...!

Ugh. Family life is too stressful for me. I need a vacation.

Gotta sleep now. Just for an hour. Then I’ll keep looking. I wish I could ask the rats to look for me. They’re probably great spies. But, ah, they’re just animals, and I’m getting all stir-crazy. Talking nonsense. So I’ll shut up.

I think the goblins are gonna kill us all and take our stuff,

Dragomir the Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment