Monday, September 5, 2011

Day Twenty-Six: Baby!


I bet you’re confused, diary, so I’d better explain.

I got word from the guard coming out to relieve me that Libby was in the middle of childbirth. She apparently told everyone in the castle not to tell me, ‘cause she figured my “lazy ass” wouldn’t be able to help her through it anyway. This was at a couple minutes to midnight, I guess.

I ran. Gods help me, I ran as fast as I could. I ran so wildly that I didn’t even think to climb the barbican to get back into the castle; I dashed across the Neck, even though it could have killed me in an instant.

And then I blacked out. For a split second I thought it HAD killed me. But then I woke up...

... and it was Monday! As usual, I'd missed the entire weekend. I’ve never had it happen to me like that before, though. Usually I pass out wherever I’m standing and don’t notice, but this time, I was very much awake. It was really, really weird.

Anyway. I got up, dusted myself off and ran to my apartment, and Libby was waiting for me. She’d had the baby. Her stomach was already gone, and she’d wedged a little cradle into the space between the cupboard and our bed. I didn’t hear anything about the birthing, but Libby didn’t seem to care one way or another, so...

Enough about troubles. Baby!

My daughter’s name is Eve. She’s the cutest little thing you’ve ever seen. Really takes after her mom, except for the blonde hair. And she’s so quiet! I don’t know why I was worried. She’s an absolute treasure.

I have to go, though, diary. This is a pretty early entry for me. I, ah, had to stick you back in the rat farms for now, 'cause I couldn’t get back out to the queen’s tree. Sorry. It’s still probably the best hiding place. At least I don’t cough so much. I must be used to all that yellow dust.

Beaming,

Dragomir the Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment