Monday, November 14, 2011

Day Seventy-Six: ARGHLBLARGHS


The weekend's over, diary. I'm still in the ruins. WHY AM I STILL IN THE RUINS, OH GODS I'M GOING TO DIE AND NOT EVEN IMPERIUM ARCHAEOLOGISTS ARE EVER GONNA FIND ME

Calm! Calm down, Dragomir. It's not that bad. You've been in worse situations. Being stuck in a mysterious cave - even if you don't know HOW you got there! - isn't so bad as, say, that time with the bandit.

'cept the bandit was alive, and not some weird spirit thing, and he wasn't going to peel your EYELIDS BACK AND STEAL YOUR BRAIN THROUGH THE SOCKETS

No! Stop, Dragomir. Talk to your diary. Diary will listen. Diary calms you.

I love you, diary. You're my only friend. You and the rat, who is just sitting here on my shoulder as I write, looking around. He doesn't seem afraid. It's hard to tell with something that doesn't have a facial expression, but still. It exudes ratty confidence.

Fear. Fear is the mind killer. (Did I just quote someone?)

So, uh, yeah. I'm in the ruins. Last week I closed my eyes, then when I opened 'em I was staring at a rock wall… not much light, 'cept some coming through the ceiling from… something…? … and then I saw the back of the once-open door of the ruins. Now closed. And there were some fireflies, circling around me… and they zipped down the tunnel and vanished. I could still see their light around a corner.

Haven't followed 'em yet. Legs won't move. Don't wanna go anywhere. Wanna go home.

Don't wanna be an adventurer no more. I just wanna eat some yak tarts and get hit by the captain for slacking and have Libby yell at me. I want the way things used to be, you know? I may be a big whiner these days, but I just want to go back to the way things were!

… which...

Which means I have to find the plants that can cure foulfungus. Which means… exploring these ruins, if June was right.

I just shuddered.

Uh, anyway. I'm only just getting up my courage, so I suppose I'll be exploring shortly. I hope this weird light keeps up so I can write in you, diary. Airing my fears really helped.

My pants are still super damp and probably will be every time I come across something new,

Dragomir the Adventurer

2 comments:

  1. Currently reading the quoted book. It's a good read, as is this. Will be up to date some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! You have a long way to go. Hopefully you enjoy.

      I love Dune. It's such a strange book. The sequels are pretty weird and wonderful, as well, though the original's still my favourite. (Haven't touched the Kevin J. Anderson books, mind. I know I should judge for myself, but everybody I know who's read 'em hated them.)

      Delete