Friday, November 11, 2011

Day Seventy-Five: Ruinous ruination


I was right. I'm not dead. And I found the ruins! I think! Pretty sure. They look all ruinous, so it's a good bet.

The fireflies, or whatever the hell they were, guided me through the dark for… some time, last night. I dunno how long. It seemed like a dream: everything was hazy, and wherever I stepped - and each step was illuminated by the fireflies, which was pretty cool and weird - I landed on firm ground. Not soggy at all. My rat seemed to approve, sitting on my shoulder the whole time (it usually rides in my armour), so I kept on going.

The fireflies brought me into a clearing. The rain stopped overheard, and the fireflies all whipped off to the far side, shining on, well, a ruin. A massive building that's crumbling all over the place, and covered in vines, and about as ominous as a piece of ancient-ass architecture can look. I'd say this is the spot, and the map more or less confirms it.

There's, ah, just one thing I'd been expecting: a closed door. June told me before that only a dead man can open the way to the ruins. She stressed that fact. So I was expecting, like, giant door knockers I'd have to pull on, or a big stone tablet with a puzzle I'd have to solve, or burning torches that I'd have to rearrange into the pattern of a skull, or… or… y'know, something stupid like that.

But, nope. There were doors, but they were wide open. And when I got close, crossing over a crumbling stone road, I realized that they'd been opened recently. The area around 'em was swept clean. Which, ah, means somebody's already inside.

And they're dead.

Or maybe it's another puzzle? How should I know? I'm not smart! I'm just Dragomir, the lazy guard! I don't know this crap!

All the fireflies whipped inside after a few minutes and vanished, so I lost my light source… but the doorway kinda glows. I can always find my way in, no matter where I go in the clearing. But I can't see what's inside.

Creepy.

I'm gonna find somewhere to bed down for the night, diary. I'm not going in until morning. What day is it today, anyway?

Sincerely,

Dragomir the Adventurer

No comments:

Post a Comment