Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day One-Eighty-Nine: Eureka!


WOW. Wow, diary. I was right. Edmund gave me the perfect idea for winning the top prize. It's so simple! I can't believe I didn't think of it before! And it's right up my alley!

I met my bardy chum again in the Beefiary at lunch today, sitting with a bunch of other minstrels. After a quick meal and some chatting the rest of the guys and girls (entertainers are SO NICE), I asked if he wanted to go for a walk. He said, in more words than this, 'Sure'. So off we went to the bailies where Captain Cedric wouldn't catch me goofin' off.

The bailies are a wonder now, diary, they really are. Everybody's still working hard at their jobs, but everything they do is mixed in with fun. Deliverymen have to weave around dancing jugglers, streamers trail from the ends of hammers, and lots of people are dressed up in patchwork animal outfits. Everybody sings and laughs as they work. Jeffster is the best non-holiday EVER.

We were watching a bunch of kids hit each other with sticks (I miss playing street hockey, I really do) when I asked Edmund if he had any other ideas on what I could do for the contest.

He pondered that, laughing as one child knocked another into a trash can full of rotten fruit. "Before ye can do anything well, / Know ye must where ye excel." Which was long for 'What are you good at?'

I shrugged. "I don't really excel at anythin'. Ask anybody and they'll tell you I'm a lousy guard. Even I'LL tell you that."

Edmund shook his head. "Nay, nay, t'was not my intent. / Guarding does not amusement invent. / I've listened here long, to your sobering tales; / Have you a story in your writhing entrails?"

"Story? What good's a story for winning a contest?"

He grinned and patted my on the shoulder. "Drago, my friend, a story's the goal! / Without any story, entertainment's a hole! / 'ere singing or dancing or traipsing's of use, / There must be a story to set all to loose!"

That's when it came back to me. As a kid, I used to tell stories to my friends. They would listen, and laugh, and, well, enjoy. That's the solution, diary: I need to write the king a story. And I have! Kinda! I mean, it's still a work in progress, but it's well underway, and I just bet I can have it done for tomorrow!

I'm actually quite excited. It's been a really long time since I wrote a story, diary. (No offense, but you don't count.) My parents pounded the habit outta me for years. I'm so glad I have the courage to go back to it now! I don't know if it'll be enough to win, but…

Aw, hell. Who cares if I win. As long as I get a single smile out of King Jeffrey, I'll be happy. Can't wait to watch him read my story. It's gonna be fantastic. I'll even let you read it after this is all done, diary.

Sincerely,

Dragomir the Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment