Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day Ninety-Eight: It MOVED


Same thing as yesterday, diary. In the tower. With the dragon. Freezing cold. At least I knew to bundle up today… though I'm afraid that Libby's wooden scarf with just set my neck aflame if the dragon decides to breathe fire… please let it not breathe fire, diary, I LIKE my neck.

But, well, that didn't happen tonight. It wasn't AS bad, assuming babysitting a dragon can be considered not bad. If you'd asked me that at the TIME I wouldn't have said as much, of course, 'cause about an hour into my watch the dragon decided to move. For the first time since, well, ever, as far as I can tell.

It was scary, diary. There I was, minding my own business, trying to hide behind my scarf and pretend that I was just a heap of clothes with eyes, when the dragon rolled! All the ice and snow built up on it cracked and flew, and the floor creaked like crazy as the dragon rolled onto its back! I woulda been fully justified in FLINGING myself out the huge hole in the wall and dying on the castle below.

… which I almost did. The dragon moving freaked me out so much that I ran right for the hole. Just barely managed to control myself. But I did not pee myself this time, diary! No sir!

An hour later I'd managed to slooooooowly inch my way back to the door, where I'd been before, away from the cold and snow, and I got my first good look at the dragon's belly.

And, uh, I was surprised. 'cause its belly is covered in scars.

Growing up I was told that dragons are invincible. You don't screw with a dragon, or they'll eat you and spit your bones across the countryside. NOBODY kills a dragon. Sure looks like somebody tried on this guy, though, 'cause he's got really big gashes in his underside. I guess whoever caught him in the first place made 'em. (How did I THINK the king got a dragon? It just flew up here and offered to be chained to the tower? Doi.)

The dragon didn't move after that, and eventually I went back downstairs. Frozen, yes, but not as bad off - the captain didn't come for me today, and the royal guards dogged me the whole way out of the nobles' quarter, so I got a bit of a run. Warmed my legs.

I should bring Libby up here some time just to freak her out,

Dragomir the Popsicle

No comments:

Post a Comment