Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day Seven-Hundred-Fourteen: Bastards of the Desert


Oh fuck.

Since we started out we've been maintaining our own supplies. There are two reasons for this:

1.) If one of us fucks up and loses their shit, the rest are fine - and they can compensate for the lost stuff.

2.) We don't trust one another to share evenly. This is an implicit reason, but it's totally there, floating over the camp like those fucking buzzards I scared off earlier.

I can't speak for the others, but I have a backpack. In my backpack I have a bundle of jerky, some trail mix in a pouch, a bunch of dried fruit, a bag of unsalted nuts, and water. Lots and lots of water. Three canteens' worth, in fact. More than enough to keep me going for a week, which is roughly how long we're supposedly travelling to find Iko.

When I woke up this morning, my backpack was gone. Stolen from beneath my head as I slept. I wasn't alone, either - Jeffrey, Nagi, Logan, and Traveller were all missing their packs as well.

Their absence was not a mystery, however. We found the shredded remains of one of Traveller's bags of grapes just outside our little camp, in the shade of a rock. We followed the half-buried grapes to the remains of his bag...

... and then, following paw prints and drag marks, we discovered what little was left of Nagi's pack... 

... and, beyond that, gorged and sleeping, we discovered a sizable pack of coyotes. Fifteen in all, sleeping peacefully and surrounded by a bevy of half-eaten foodstuffs and ruined canteens. They looked better-fed and happier than I'm sure they've ever been in their lives.

We slaughtered the little bastards. They became a mangey lunch. Grylock personally killed seven of them, such was his anger. Not because they'd stolen his pack, oh no, but because he'd now have to share with the rest of us.

We scrounged some of the supplies not ruined by the shifting sands, and three of our twelve canteens remained unbroken. We're now rationing water even more tightly than we were before, which is a bitch to think about 'cause we were already tightasses when it came to water.

Arguments are breaking out. Feuds. It's getting out of hand. No one will listen to reason. Everyone is being selfish.

...

Nagi claims she needs more water than average in order to hydrate her tail. Between us, I think she's a lying whore.

I want to go home. I hate this place. I never should've come here. We're all gonna die.

... wait...

Is... is that... whose hand...?


DON'T YOU TOUCH MY FUCKI

No comments:

Post a Comment